Jon and Minda Joslin

Jon and Minda Joslin
and their "Perfectly Parented" children,
Remy and Ryan, relaxing at the beach in St Martin

Saturday, July 15, 2006

July 13th

July 13th
Hangover cure? Don’t sober up.

Woke up and visited my new home, Le Sucherie. Wow it’s so boring here. Get up early, eat magnificent French pastries, etc.etc.etc. Our mission today was a hike up Pic Paradis. For purposes of security, I’m not going to comment on how, why or whether this is a good idea. I’ll focus this story only on what we did on Loterie Farms property.


Loterie Farm

I’ll say that we drove to Loterie Farms, parked right next to stairs that lead to the restaurant, and hiked their property and beyond.


Jon and Minda at Loterie Farm

I’d recommend anyone who wants to see the rain forest go and do the “Hidden Forest” hike on their property. There were no security concerns there at all. Hike was $5.00 each, kids free, and on a scale of 1-10, I’d rate it a 4 if you are a hiker, 6 if you are old and fat (I’m not commenting on which I am).



45 minutes of strenuous hiking, and 800’ elevation gain to the high point, and my 6 and 8 year old did it with two rest breaks. Go early, Rest overy 200 steps, take lots of water. We were done by 10:30, having started early, before the cruise ship “Zip line” people got there.


The zip lines looked moderately interesting, but 10-30 feet above ground, and after climbing as a sponsored professional for years in Boulder, jumping out of planes all over the world, I wasn’t interested. (PS, I don’t recommend D.B Cooper imitations on commercial aircraft.. they HATE IT!

Loterie property was incredible, and just about snuck in as the high point of the trip. The hike described above starts in a 300 year old Mango Patch, where the stench of rotting mangos overwhelms to senses.


Huge 300 Year old Mango Tree

Walking through the first 200-300 yards, was like skating on ice, as their were literally hundreds of mangos dropped.


Mango Fields

We had mango trees in Key West earlier in life, but nothing like this. Imagine 1000+ mangos lining the path! I made a complete idiot of myself when I took off my clothes, wallowed about screaming “YOU CAN BURY ME HERE!”. Anyway…


View form Loterie Farm

The hike was excellent, and the top of the Loterie farm piece takes you to 800’, with clear views across the valley, and back down below.


Minda at Chewbacca Rock

The “map” they have to show you where to go looks tough, but it was easy.


Subtle Signs Can actually lead you to where others have been before.. You have to look closely.

We finished and came off the mountain at 10:30, making this one of the earliest days we had so far.

We stopped by the Butterfly Famr to say goodbye.


Butterfly Farm

We also decided to make it our last trip to Orient Beach.


Club "O" Sign

It was a bit windy when we arrived, but turned to a breeze after a while. Mom and the kids set up around KON Tiki, and I “took a walk” to Club O. It was nice, and definitely something I could do again, as I proved on my third time there. Met the reggae singer Dread “I” before I left, and my son would not give up the CD player he was carrying, as he loved the music. When I told him he was standing with the Artist, he loved it and asked for a picture. I paid $15 for his CD, and didn’t try to negotiate. It’s great!.


Ryan and Reggae Superstar "DREAD I"

Left orient beach with the intention of getting an early dinner, but decided to stop by SSBB and switch the $25 t-shirt I bought earlier, as it was dye stained on one shoulder. (YES $25.00!). It’s totally the principal, and they exchanged it no problem.


Run.. Run like the Wind!

SSBB is like Crack, in that this was our fifth evening there. We had a great time, and a full day, and it was still only 4:45 PM by the time we got there. The only traffic we saw was at the RUM JUMBIE sign (which needs a traffic circle, by the way).


Evidence at Bamboo Bernie's

After 15 minutes or so, We watched our first plane of the week take off TOWARD the ocean, instead of the mountains. My son asked why, and a guy standing nearby gave an explanation of weights, and ground speed, etc. that made me think instantly he was a pilot.


Rainbow in Paradise

He was indeed, for Delta, and we ended up spending the next couple of hours with them at Bamboo Bernies, playing Beat the Clock (affectionately known as KILL THY LIVER, in 30 MINUTE INCREMENTS). We felt like we had know them our whole lives, I am pretty close to a million-miler on Delta, and he has flown for them for 24 years. Their daughter was 14, son 17, and they had a great time with our kids. Great times, and I know we’ll see them again, as they are from Atlanta.


Make it a Double

As if this wasn’t enough, we stopped for our intended dinner, 4 hours later than expected, at Lee’s Roadside Grill. BIG BIG Thumbs up. I had a Mahi-Mahi and Shrimp Scampi special. The fish was “catch” and I believe it. It was simply put, the best fish I ever had. So good, that my wife, daughter and son all ate that dish too. Excellent stuff. It literally was grilled like a steak, and well worth the $20 price tag.

My son joined the singer on the stage. Yes, my 6 year old is a showboat, pumping up the crowd with a rendition of Twinkle Twinkle. When he was finished, he told the singer thank you and if he knew any “Harder” songs, he’d come back and sing again. That was priceless!



Ryan Sings at Lee's Roadside Grill

A late evening, and the packing begins.


Ryan Doing Shots of Tequila





_____________________________________________________________________________________
END OF DAY _____________________________________________________________________________________

No comments: